This was a fascinating story and I’m really glad to have stumbled upon it.
- GUARDIAN: Evony drops libel case against British blogger Bruce Everiss
Lawsuit brought against outspoken games veteran is dropped as Evony witness evidence is queried
Bruce Everiss, veteran game marketer and a gaming business blogger that I follow was being sued for libel by “the people that make Evony”. Although, it’s not entirely clear who that is. Y’see, the origins of Evony are allegedly very much in dispute, if you read through the Guardian’s article as well as Bruce’s own blog on the topic.
But one thing seems certain to me (if you read & believe Bruce’s posts on Evony) and that is that the people that run Evony seem to believe that they’re above what I consider to be common sense ethics – the biggest of which include the legal protection of Intellectual Property rights. But when you see their advertising – heavily laden with images of sex, breasts, and lewd photography, some of which allegedly originated from actual porn DVD covers – it seems pretty obvious to this reader that ‘ethics’ isn’t anything that Evony is particularly concerned about.
GAMING DRAMA SO THICK, YOU CAN’T MAKE THIS STUFF UP
This lawsuit against Bruce was going on for a fairly long time and made Bruceongames.com a “must-read-blog” for me. Here’s a summary of the entire documented drama. As you can see, each post is somewhat episodic. It’s so detailed, I really think Bruce could write a book based on the tale and make a good penny, otherwise turning lemons into lemonade.
- 8/25/08 Making gold in China
- 7/10/09 Don’t play Evony
- 7/15/09 More about Evony
- 7/16/09 Is Evony malware
- 7/29/09 Evony advert ridiculed by PopCap
- 7/31/09 Queen of Evony competition
- 8/25/09 Evony want to sue me for telling the truth
- 8/26/09 Why use Warren McKeon Dickson to threaten me?
- 9/14/09 Evony libel me
- 9/14/09 Evony press release
- 9/14/09 Evony in big trouble
- 9/16/09 Eric Lam, UMGE, WoWMine and Evony
- 9/16/09 Is Kingory just Evony under a different name?
- 9/22/09 The game mechanic and its subversion
- 9/28/09 Anti Semitism in Evony
- 10/06/09 Who works for Evony?
- 10/12/09 A hidden danger of MMOs
- 10/13/09 How the internet is being censored
- 10/19/09 Evony and Bruceongames
- 10/20/09 Help defeat Evony
- 10/21/09 Evony, the truth, Facebook group
- 10/27/09 Eric Lam irony
- 11/09/09 Kingory and Kung Fu Panda
- 11/10/09 The Law Report, ABC radio, Australia. And Evony
- 11/10/09 Evony porn girls
- 11/13/09 Evony fighting fund – a big thank you
- 11/19/09 Kingory, Nap War, Evony, Empire Craft, Lords Online. What is going on?
- 11/22/09 321WAN, the company behind Evony?
- 11/26/09 Evony. Very interesting Youtube video
- 11/28/09 Evony parody TV advertisement
- 12/3/09 I am in court with Evony on 14 December
- 12/13/09 High drama in Evony LLC Vs Bruce Everiss
- 1/13/10 Google hacked by Chinese
- 2/11/10 Evony and the disappearing evidence #1
- 2/17/10 Evony and the disappearing evidence #2
- 2/19/10 The people behind Evony
- 2/22/10 The Evony management team
- 2/22/10 Evony, the movie
- 2/26/10 David Guo
- 3/2/10 More from David Guo’s solicitors
- 3/4/10 Deep irony from David Guo
- 3/5/10 Where the Evony players are moving to
- 3/5/10 David Guo’s solicitors get angry
- 3/5/10 More from David Guo’s angry solicitors
- 3/7/10 Evony, Marco F. Mereu and the Digital Millenium Copyright Act
- 3/9/10 More pictures of Evony/UMGE in Guangzhou (reinstated)
- 3/9/10 Comments about Evony by UMGE Ex-employee
- 3/10/10 Evony staff suppress the truth
- 3/11/10 How much do players spend on Evony?
- 3/12/10 Why Evony are happy to ban their customers
- 3/16/10 David Guo Vs Bruce Everiss
- 3/20/10 Eric Lam speaks – from China
- 3/23/10 David Guo, boss of Evony, and hacking
- 3/24/10 Where does the Evony money go?
- 3/25/10 Evony say the game employs 9 or less people worldwide!
- 3/26/10 A short history of Evony in China
- 3/27/10 Evony, Civony, UMGE. Lies, lies, lies
- 3/31/10 Evony Vs Bruce Everiss. The result
hi is evony really tht bad lol
Honestly? Yeah. They are. Do a search. They’re about the worst kind of bottomfeeders that exist on the Internet… right next to spammers & domain squatters.