Yet something else I found in my inbox that seemed somewhat meaningful to me being that Sheepa’s getting very old. We approximate that he’s about 15 now. I feed him joint medication everyday now and I’ve greatly loosened up what we allow him to eat… for example: He now gets coldcuts to help the medicine go down.
He stumbles around quite a bit and finds it difficult to walk in the mornings just to go out. I carry him a lot now just so that he can make it up and down the steps of the entryway to our condo. Our dream of him walking with us during walks with our baby, Kyle, seems to be a short-lived one as he can’t really keep up. So I’m thinking of converting Kyle’s infant stroller into a dog walker.
He can’t hear commands any more – his hearing is gone. He can’t see very well because of the cloudiness in his eyes but he can still see movement and he still follows my basic sit, lie down, and go-this-way commands if he can see them.
Here’s a photo of him when he was a little younger –>
And here’s what I received in the mail.
A Pet’s Ten Commandments
- My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
- Give me time to understand what you want of me.
- Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
- Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.
- Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
- Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
- Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.
- Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak
- Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
- On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can’t bear to watch Don’t make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.